Wooden Dinosaur

I made a little wooden dinosaur on my band saw. I googled for a stegosaurus outline, and printed out one of the first results, then glued that to a board to use for my cutting line. I sanded it some, softened the edges with a dremel and finished with mineral oil.

Wooden Spatula

I made a wooden spatula today with purpleheart and maple wood. I cut out some smaller blocks of similar thickness and glued them together. Afterwards, I resawed it on the bandsaw to make it a little thinner. I used the spatula Amanda liked as a template and traced it on to paper which I glued to the wooden blocks.

Next I cut out the shape on the bandsaw and sanded for awhile. I finished the spatula with mineral oil.

Old Workbench

I realized there were no pictures of my old bigger workbench. This one is 8ft long by 2ft deep and about 3 1/2ft tall. It’s definitely on the tall side, but it works for me.

Big workbench

I added some hooks to hang my frequently used power tools and ear protection from. On the left is a magnet strip which is rarely used.

Basic Plan

I started with a basic mock up on some graph paper but cut to fit as I went. The design was meant to be similar to the one we used at 10bitworks Makerspace in San Antonio except I allowed for the top piece of plywood to overhang on the sides in order to make clamping a little easier with small clamps.

10bit workbench
10bitworks Bench

Small Workbench

I built another small workbench for the garage. This one holds my band saw, belt sander, and drill press. I used a similar design to my big one, but this one is lower and only 4ft wide. I also made the supports for the top surround all the edges instead of going with an overhang.

Wood is also much pricier now than when I built the previous bench, so it probably cost more for half the bench.

Wooden Yoyo

Wooden yoyo

I used the wooden centers from the baby rattles to make a yoyo. I rounded over the edges with a router, using a 1/4″ roundover partially set for the inside and a 1/2″ roundover for the outsides.

The two sides were chucked in to my drill press using a bolt. This let me sand them smooth quickly and afterwards I hand sanded with 220 grit.

The halves are joined with an oak dowel which was trimmed with a flush cut saw. I used some spare kitchen twine instead of a real yoyo string, but it works well.

The yoyo works but does not sleep long. I think using some silicon lubricant or adding a sleeve over the dowel will help. I will glue the halves on the dowel once I’m happy with the performance.