I’ve been playing around some more with the Love2d game framework and made a little 2 player vs air hockey game using the touchscreen. It was neat to experiment with the physics engine using some simple shapes.
It was pretty easy to jump in to using, but creating more complex shapes seems difficult. I haven’t found any better ways than to build them from primitives, like circles and rectangles.
Simon likes to grab at my cellphone. I saw there a few baby touch games on the playstore, like Frankie’s Baby Fireworks! which he enjoys, so I thought it would be fun to make one of my own using Love2d.
This game makes sounds as long as you touch the screen and shows a random shape in random colors with a unique pattern, which follow your fingers around. The shapes are animated using the particle effects api that comes with the Love2d framework.
You can run the .love file if you have love framework installed on Linux/Windows/Mac/Android or use the Android apk I created. I don’t know if I will put it up on the Play store, but you can download it and view the source on Github. It’s more fun on my touchscreen laptop since there is more space to touch.
Love2d is fun and easy to learn for making 2d games. The particle system is neat, but it also includes a physics engine I want to play with some more.
Jekyll was cool, it was fast, but it was too much of a pain to update so I never did. I couldn’t find a good solution to managing images or uploads, but it’s pretty easy with wordpress. Maybe I will add something more often.
Last weekend I built a woodworking mallet out of oak.
I needed a mallet to help with assembling and banging on things without as much damage as a plain metal hammer would leave, so I built my own. Building a mallet is often used as a basic woodworking introductory project since it’s not very hard and is meant to be used.
I watched a few youtube videos to get the general idea and just went for it. Basically I cut a portion of an oak board in to three lengths for the head and made a handle of two longer pieces glued up together.
The center of the three head pieces was cut twice at 5 degree angles to leave an inside partial V shape, but not coming all the way to a point. These three layers, now four pieces, were glued up in a stack with some dowels drilled in to help align them. The dowels were not necessary, but help add a bit of visual candy, I will probably leave them off in the future.
The handle was made of two pieces glued together and then chiseled down and sanded to fit in the head. The handle is much more square than I expected, but works well for me and everyone’s preference will be different.
After glueing it all together, I attached the handle with some wedges made of scrap wood. I pounded these in with a board, since I hadn’t finished the mallet yet. After that I cut the excess off with a flush cut saw and added some wood glue to help keep the wedges in.
Next, I used a trim router to add the edging, which consisted of a chamfer on the head and a roundover on the handle. Then I sanded it all on a belt sander at 60grit before moving on to a random orbit sander progressively going up to 220grit.
I finished the piece by oiling it with two coats of Tung Oil which should help prevent some scars from usage and protect the wood.